Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Building Up or Tearing Down?

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
(Proverbs 14:1).







This verse really speaks to me, as I have personally seen it to be true in my own life and in the lives of some of those I know. In my own life, it didn't take long for me to realize, as a newlywed, that if I didn't yell and start arguments, fights would very rarely occur. My husband is just a peace loving guy. This doesn't mean that we haven't had disagreements, but it does mean that when I chose to be responsible with my own words and actions, things went best for me, my husband, our marriage, and our household. Needless to say, I still (almost 17 years later) choose the path of peace and respectful discussion rather than being argumentative and yelling (at least the majority of the time ;-).

I've watched people with beautiful families tear them apart with adultery, deception, put-downs of a spouse, wall-building, and game playing, to name just a few of the foolish deeds, that people commit with their own choices.

What are you doing to build up your house? What are you doing to tear it down?

Much of what happens to us is the result of our own choices, whether the choices are wise or whether they make our own hands destroy that which we desire to build.



No comments:

Post a Comment